, ,

English: Striped Skunks (Mephitis mephitis)

English: Striped Skunks (Mephitis mephitis) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I slept in Saturday morning.  There was a bit of guilt in that, I suppose, simply because Miriam woke up around 5 in the morning to get Nate up for his golf meet.  Before you start playing the hate game with me for shirking my fatherly duty, we need to go back some 17 years to when our daughter was a new infant, crying in the middle of the night for her feeding.  This dutiful father stumbled out of bed to comfort our sorrowful first child, changed her diaper, held her in my lap as I gave Mir a few more minutes of well earned sleep.

“Why don’t you go back to bed?”  Mir croaked as she slipped into the room to administer a feeding, something I was not physically qualified to do, “You have to go to work in the morning.  Why should two of us be up?  I am going to be up any way.”

And that set the tone for a good portion of our parenting days together.  It’s not that I do not do late night or early morning, it’s just that the majority of the time, Mir can’t help but be right in the middle of it all whether she is needed or not.  The axiom she proposed has been accepted and true.  Why should two of us be up if she is going to be up too?

I am not a pig.

I’m not sure when the strong, acrid, pungent and overwhelming odor of skunk cut through the fog of my sleep into my conscious awareness.  This time of the year is when the young skunks seem to be trying to establish themselves, much like my teenaged son.  Lately it seems like every night or morning a skunk sprays or is hit by a car.  So when the smell hit me, it didn’t quite register in my mind how strong the scent really was.  Maybe it was because my eyes were closed.  The scent in our house was eye watering.

Mir let our sheltie, Nick, out when she got out of bed.  Nick greeted a skunk neighbor just a bit too loudly.  He caught a bit of the skunk’s spray in the side of his head, mane, and front legs.  Since this is the third time this has happened to Nick, Mir and I know what to do — isolate him outside of the house, then wipe him down with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn dishwashing detergent.  No water.  Follow up with a shampoo bath.  It works.

Mir did not wake me up.  I did not stir. By 8 in the morning, she had already taken care of our poor animal.

Anyone who has had a dog sprayed by a skunk knows that they have to live with skunk odor for a few days.  It has been lovely, especially when the pumpkin spice candle was lit.  Our house smells like spicy pumpkin skunk.  Anything that was in our garage where Nick was sequestered while waiting for skunk treatment smells of skunk, including the umbrella I took with us to watch Nate’s golf tournament.  When the raindrops started falling, WHOOSH, I opened the umbrella to treat everyone within twenty feet of me to the lovely skunky aroma that had permeated the fabric.

And so our weekend has gone.  It hasn’t been bad, just skunky.  Good thing for Alyssa is that the smell did not soak into her homecoming dress.  The dance was last night!